Monday, February 10, 2014

For those of you that do not know me or have not known me for very long, there is something else that you may not know about me.  A little over 4 years ago, I was very close to being totally crippled.  My weight had played a huge part in destroying my hips and I had battled severe pain, MRIs, steroid injections, physical therapy and multiple doctor visits before they realized that my hips were crumbled into thousands of pieces.  I was told on August 25, 2009 (at the age of 38) that I needed both of my hips replaced.  This is not something easy to handle at a young age.  This is something that happens to people in their 70's or 80's, not someone in their 30's.  I cried for days.  I was scared to death and was trying to deal with all the possibilities of what could go wrong and the thought of leaving my two little boys without a Mom.  I was dealing with so much pain that my family was already suffering.  I had no choice.  The surgeries were the best thing that ever happened to me (medically).  I had my left hip replaced in October 2009.  Surgery was on Monday morning.  Monday evening I was up walking, Wednesday I was home and Friday I was at physical therapy.  I had my left hip replaced in January 2010.   Surgery was on Monday morning.  Monday evening I was up walking, Wednesday I was home and Friday I was at physical therapy.

I was a new woman with a new lease on life.  I was able to walk, I was able to do things with my kids, I was able to be more active.  This did not make me realize the need for weight loss at that time.  I'm not sure why but I didn't have that mental break-through at that time but the journey continued...


My youngest son calls me the bionic woman.  These are my hips.  They are titanium steel and yes, I set off the metal detectors across the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment