Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cravings

Since it's "tasty Tuesday," I thought we would discuss cravings.  I don't have a lot of cravings since I started my journey but I have one that is never ending.  I crave cheeseburgers.  The funny thing is that I can eat a lean hamburger patty and put some low fat cheese on it but it's just not the same.  I want that big, fat, juicy patty in the middle of a toasted hamburger bun with Miracle Whip, gooey cheese, tomato, lettuce and onion.  I want to bite into the whole thing and get that amazing flavor combination.  Although, I don't as I couldn't handle it anyway.

Unfortunately, cravings can get the best of us sometimes and we have to deal with them as they happen.  I was taught the "3 bite rule."  If you are craving something or if you are in a situation where you really want a certain food (cake, ice cream, chocolate, anything that really isn't good for us or we shouldn't eat at all), take three small (do not make those bites mouth size) bites (savoring each bite) and then throw it away.  Get it out of site so you cannot continue to indulge.  If you feel that you can't stop at three bites, it's best to not give in and find something to replace that craving.  Often when we are having cravings our body is lacking an important nutrient and feeding that need will eliminate the craving for the unhealthy food.

And the journey continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment